4 posts Page 1 of 1

im cycling my juwel rio 180 at the moment
its been 6 days and all going well
im cycling with prawns by the way not fish.
i have kept many tanks before and my ph has always been the lowest 7.6 and highest 8.0 as i live in a hard water area
now in my new tank i want to keep
keyhole cichlids
dwarf gourami
rummy nose tetras
guppy's
neon tetras
yo yo loaches
if i buy some peat to put in my filter but will this lower the ph enough??

Yes because peat dramatically changes the level of ph in your tank. It depends on how much you put in there. It usually tells you how much.

Yes and no.

Yes peat can lower your pH but if your carbonate hardness(KH) is high then it will be a bit difficult to lower it. Carbonate hardness is a buffer for the pH. The higher it is, the more difficult it will be to soften your water. I had tried softening my water for my first betta but it was a lost cause. Our tap water is so hard that no matter what I did, the pH as well as the water's hardness would not lower. Sometimes trying to lower the pH in a tank can cause more harm then good because of the fluctuations.

With some of the fish you mentioned, it may not be a good thing to keep them together. Tetras, for example love acidic, soft water whereas guppies thrive in hard, alkaline water. Of course, I've only kept guppies and bettas(not together!) so you may very well have some success keeping these fish together.

Go out and buy a GH/KH test kit. This will help you determine how hard your water is and how difficult it will be to lower your hardness and pH.

Whether or not peat will lower your pH and hardness "enough" depends on the buffering capacity (sometimes known as alkalinity) of the water, which I don't know (maybe you don't know it, either). Briefly put, buffering capacity is the tendency of dissolved minerals in the water to neutralize any acids they come in contact with. Hard water usually has a high buffering capacity, which is why it is much more difficult to make hard, basic water soft and acid than it is to make soft, acid water hard and basic.

Given the fish you want to keep, your main issue is with the rummy-nose tetras. This species comes from very soft waters, and is quite sensitive to water chemistry, and also to any pollutants in the water. If the peat doesn't solve your hardness problem, you may want to switch to a species with less strident demands on water quality than the rummy-nose. The other fish on your list are much less choosy about their water, although none except the guppies could be expected to be happy in water with a pH of 8.0.
4 posts Page 1 of 1