2 posts Page 1 of 1

i need to explain quotes for school.
Act 4: "There on the pendant boughs her coronet weeds Clamb'ring to hang, an envious sliver broke, When down her weedy trophies and herself Fell in the weeping brook" (4.7.197-200)
spoken by gertrude to laertes

"Truly to speak, and with no addition, We go to gain a little patch of ground, That hath in it no profit but the name. To pay five ducats, five, I would not farm it" (4.4.18-21). captain to hamlet

"To cut his throat i' th' church" (4.7.144) laertes to claudius

"A man may fish with the worm that hath eat of a king and eat of the fish that hath fed of that worm" (4.3.30-32). hamlet to claudius

ACT 5

"Swounds, show me what thou't do. Woo't weep, woo't fight, woo't fast, woo't tear
Thyself,
Woo't drink eisel, eat a crocodile? I'll do't" (5.1.290-294). Hamlet to king, queen, everyone at ophelias funeral

"Now cracks a noble heart. Good night, sweet prince, And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest" (5.2.397-398). Horatio to late hamlet

"Let four captains Bear Hamlet like a soldier to the stage, For he was likely, had he been put on, To have proved most royal" (5.2.441-444) Fortinbras to his people

"Stay, give me drink,Hamlet, this pearl is thine. here's to thy health" (5.2.64-69). King claudius to Hamlet (hamlet right? or crowd?)

i just need to explain 2 quotes from each act. thank u very much

i will be brief because you should do some of the work (lol)

the first one Gertrude is telling laertes how Ophelia died. shows she is on the edge of going crazy because Hamlet takes place in winter and it is hard to pick flowers in winter and then drown in a frozen stream?

shos that Fortinbras going to attack the pollacks is very strange because the ground they are fighting for has no advantage its a barren waste land you cannot even farm it. suspicous. he aslso goes on to say that the pollacks have aready set up defences. why would they for land that has no benifit?

Laertes is showing his hatred for Hamlet because Hamlet killed his father. he would risk eternal damnation by killing him in a church to get his revenge.

this is to show that death is the grand leveler. in death everyone is equal unlike in life. because a worm will eat a kings body as much as it will eat a beggars body.

Hamlet is showing his love for ophelia. he is asking what laertes would do to prove his love. would he cry, fight, eat a crocodile? Hamlet would. basicly Hamlet is trying to one up Laertes because Laetes jumped into the grave to hug Ophelia one last time.

Horatiois showing his love for a dead friend. and they had true love for each other (not homosexually although that could be argued) that is why Horatio want to drink the poison when he finds out that Hamlet is dieing. if Hamlet is dieing that Horatio wants to die with him.

Fortinbras is showing his respect to Hamlet although it is completley wrong because Hamlet was not a soldier, so it makes no sense to do this.

Its to everone and the pearl is covered with poison. so he puts the peaarl in the cup as a sign of respect (but it will actually kill whever drinks it) and them tells Hamlet to drink from the cup. shows Claudius really wants Hamlet gone this is his second attemp to kill him now.

hope this helps!
2 posts Page 1 of 1